Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Saving Money and Trying to Make a Little Extra

We had a yard sale this weekend and made $200!  I know it's really not much but it's still $200 that wasn't there before that we can use toward the purchase of our new traveling home.  Not to mention it feels good to be rid of all that stuff we weren't using and that was just sitting around taking up space in our lives.  It was especially cool when people bought something from us that they were clearly delighted to find, like the girl who bought a stack of my old records (we instantaneously bonded because we had the same taste in '80s music - Blondie, Morrissey, Madness, the Pet Shop Boys) and the lady whose new rescue dog was just so excited to have the dog toys that turned out to be too big for our pug.  It just feels good to know that our old stuff that we never touched is now making someone else happy.

Even after the garage sale, though, we still have a ton of stuff we'll need to get rid of before we make the big transition - whenever it happens.  I'm going to try to sell as much as I can...I put my wedding dress up for sale yesterday, and once we have a "launch date" set I'll start selling the furniture on Craigslist.  We also have a ton of books and CDs I can sell on eBay.

Apart from selling as much as we can, we're also trying to save money. I just have to remember whenever I'm tempted to buy something how much  I'd rather have a camper or how much I'd rather quit my job one day early.  I also need to go through our expenses and eliminate stuff we're paying for but not really using, such as our home phone.  And of course we're trying to eat in and do things on the cheap and DIY whenever possible.  I know we can do it - and probably in less than a year - but a year seems like an eternity when there are adventures to be had.

Hopefully, I'll be smart and use this time to prepare rather than procrastinate!

No comments:

Post a Comment